Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Birthday prep

Monday began the new mask regime at school: "strongly recommended" but no longer required. From what the kids have told us, maybe about half of students and teachers are still wearing them. The Spanish preschool is still requiring them, though, and still checking temperatures at the door. I dropped the kids off by bike again Tuesday afternoon, after they walked home from school, for unknown reasons.


Meanwhile, updated CDC data showed BA.2 up to 23% prevalence in the US, from 13% last week, though measured cases nationwide continued to decline.

Colin reported that one of his classmates had said something about moving closer together in library, and Colin had said that since not everyone was wearing masks they should actually move farther apart. I guess we've at least trained him to think like us, for what that's worth.

Nicole had her substitute job in algebra at Hamilton and her preparation last night paid off. She had some more of Rachel's friends in her class, it sounds like. Rachel also told us about presenting her answer to one of her recent geometry homework problems to the class.

Nicole picked up burgers for dinner after dropping the kids off at home after Spanish. We had some more pie for dessert but were otherwise mostly occupied tonight tidying up in preparation for tomorrow. For her birthday, Nicole is treating herself to a deep cleaning by someone else.

I did manage to sneak in the last few pages of Among Flowers, so I can return it to the library tomorrow if there's an opportunity. At bedtime, Colin's book mentioned the Central Park Zoo, which led to a long discussion of parks and their sizes. Central Park is over eight hundred acres, bigger than any Seattle Park, but tiny compared to the almost one million acres of Olympic National Park. Colin is doing a report on that one at school.

In French reading, I had some options to consider for word of the day. I'll just throw this one out there: brainstormé. Hadn't seen that before. But I think nombril, navel, or s'égosiller, to scream-sing, make more interesting choices.

3 comments:

Nicole Tromble said...

I have been a guest teacher many times at Hamilton and am starting to see many of the same students from previous classes. Today's classes were so much fun! Even though I tell most of the classes I am guest teaching that I have a teaching background - they don't really appreciate that until I'm subbing for their math classes. These kids have so many substitutes these days, that so much time is lost, but when I come in for (especially for a) math class... they continue to learn! And some even figure something out that they didn't quite get with their regular teacher. I really love subbing for math classes.

On a side note, I was just got an email from a teacher whose class I covered a couple of weeks ago. Here is some of what she wrote, "I'm reaching out because our students really enjoyed you as their sub while I was out, and they especially appreciated that you were able to continue their learning in math and science! They enjoyed chatting with your during health as well. Since they took to you so well, I was wondering what your availability is for the following dates?...." This was a really really nice way to end the evening!

It is also nice to meet teachers whom I subbed for, while subbing for someone else. Today, I met Mr. Sabin (6/7 Math) while I was subbing for Ms. Kitzman (Alegbra). He shared that his students LOVED me and that as a new teacher, he hadn't been able to connect with a go-to sub and now that I have worked with his classes and he was very happy with how things went, that he was hoping that I would become his go-to substitute.

All of this makes my last day as a 41 year old feel extra wonderful. It's just after midnight... Happy 42nd to me!

Tanya said...

It's so wonderful that you've gotten such nice positive feedback. Truly a heartwarming way to close out your year as a forty-one-year-old!

LEAF said...

It is not surprising that you are an appreciated teacher! Wonderful to have such great confirmation.