Monday, August 24th. IMM D36.
(Laureva's chocolate-covered fig breakfast from a few days ago)
Yesterday, there were strong winds all day. They've died down now. However, Laureva discovered that the wind had uprooted her tomato plants. After breakfast, we repotted them in a larger pot and put in some tutors to hold them up. Then, while I did my spinning, the girls played downstairs and did their nails and makeup. Later, while I sorted more papers and put away groceries, they worked on a sand art by number project. After picking up the grocery order, Sylvain headed back out for a dental checkup. He came home raving about how amazingly gentle this dentist's touch is compared to our previous one (as we almost all do every time we see her).I logged back into my university email this morning for the first time in about a week. There was a message from one of my students saying she passed her teacher's exam and will be doing her trainee year at the Middle School in Roquevaire. Another message, from the university president, informed us that Aix-Marseille University is now 116th in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities, up sixteen spots from last year. I'd like to think this is due to the fact that they've finally hired me on permanently. However, apparently it has to do in large part with advances in the oceonagraphy department.
After yoga this afternoon, the others went swimming and I went out to drop off more recycling, get some groceries at the organic market and sign Maeva up for dance. Here are a few Covid-related things I remember hearing on France Info as I was driving around: 1. Medical experts they were citing say the recent uptick in cases is still part of the first wave of infections exacerbated by the fact that social distancing guidelines are no longer being as rigorously respected. 2. The prefet of the Bouches du Rhone (our department) says the increase in cases here is "alarming." They are trying to decide which concrete measures to take in response. 3. Teachers unions are very concerned about cases spreading rapidly in schools and are demanding an adequate response from the Secretary of Education outlining appropriate protocols. School is supposed to start here on September 1st.
Back home, I made another eggplant, zucchini parmesan and read Dracula while Maeva read The Cursed Child with Rachel and Laureva played Switch. I also sent a message to Leon to ask about his test results. He was supposed to be getting them back today, but apparently he was told he won't have them until Thursday. After dinner, Sylvain and I watched a few more episodes of Community.

1 comments:
They seem very determined to learn the hard way for themselves rather than take the advice and experience of others into account.
Post a Comment