Thursday, August 20, 2020

Sequestered in Seattle, Day 162

Thursday morning, Nicole took the car in for service, in Bellevue. She sat in our camp chair in a green space the Nissan dealership has.

It had rained a little overnight, but I still needed to water the yard. There was no obvious change in pressure in the rain barrel, so I doubt there was much. It rained again this evening while we were out.

We're getting ready for the school year. Nicole moved a small desk from the kids' room to the corner of the dining room. She ordered some new headphones today. We anticipate more frequent video meetings than last year.

For dinner, we walked down to Red Mill for burgers, then met Rachel's friend Nadia and family in the park across the street. She has a sister who is going into third grade, right between Lydia and Colin, and they had fun running around the mostly empty field together.

We enjoyed talking with Nadia's mom, though the surprising number of passing trains made distant conversation sometimes difficult.

After we walked back up the hill, we started watching Mulan, but gave up around halfway when Eric fell asleep.

The news today claimed Governor Inslee expressed cautious optimism about falling case numbers. I haven't seen the latest statistics, but a few days ago the trend did appear to be improving. I don't think I've personally observed any changes in behavior, so I don't know what's responsible for the change.

5 comments:

ET said...

Less people getting tested.

ET said...

Or, fewer.

Roy said...

I think the test counts are still increasing.

Nicole Tromble said...

While driving to the Nissan dealership, I was listening to NPR's coverage of Governor Inslee's news conference. He said that for the most part, the state government is putting in place and taking care of its side of things, but if things are to improve more it requires cooperation from Washingtonians. The frustration seems to deal with contact-tracing, people aren't answering their phones when the contact-tracing people try to reach them. He said he is happy with the declining numbers, and sees the fact that there is room for improvement which if those improve will positively (or would that be negatively in this case, declining case numbers....?) improve the cases, but that in order for that to happen, people will need to cooperate and do their part.

Roy said...

Or maybe not. Test counts do appear to be declining. I may have been confused by the graph in the Seattle Times yesterday, which inexplicably showed data from mid-June. 7-day average positive test rate a month ago, when cases started to decline, was 7.4%, and now it's 7.1%, probably statistically unchanged.