Sunday, September 6th. Grape day 6!
For breakfast, Laureva made waffles and Maëva, Dutch Baby pancakes. We had a bit of a scare when the pancakes were baking. Butter overflowed, dripped onto the bottom of the oven and eventually caught fire. I discovered that I didn't know what to do. I sent the girls to get Marie-Elisabeth for the fire extinguisher (I thought we had one, turns out we don't so I'm going to buy one!) and left the oven door open while I looked for another solution (you're supposed to close the oven and turn it off). I knew not to throw water on it, but didn't remember what you are supposed to put on a grease fire (baking soda, it turns out). Fortunately, the fire consumed itself rather quickly leaving no damage aside from a blackened oven and a smoky upstairs. Once the oven cooled down and got a thorough cleaning, I was able to bake my loaf of bread at lunch time.
After all that excitement and the unexpected time spent cleaning, I needed a change of scenery. Plus, Sylvain had gotten up earlier than usual and was watching golf. I decided to go out for a walk. The girls declined to come as they were in the middle of a game of Robot Turtles with the extension pack. I walked for an hour, appreciating the sun and the sounds of wind chimes, rustling leaves and popping tennis balls (someone has a private court). I stopped in the middle for a thirty-minute chat with another school mom who is a home nurse. Her sister-in-law and brother currently have Covid-19. She is also of the opinion that a school closure here is inevitable in the not so distant future given the current rate of spread and the incivilities of some in the community.
Back home, Marie-Elisabeth stopped by for a few things and reported about someone else who might have Covid. He has high fever among other symptoms, but won't get test results until tomorrow. Meanwhile, his wife and daughter (who is at the girls' school) will stay home.
This afternoon there was reading, chores, swimming and hangout. At 28°C, it was another warm summery day.
Sunday, September 6, 2020
Lascours Lockdown, Day 176
Yesterday, we finished the Durrell book. Maëva was wondering if he'd written other books. In any case, we don't have any. We settled on Alice in Wonderland which we started today with Maëva reading to me for a change. Laureva is into the Mister Men and Little Miss books again. Today we read Mr. Daydream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
U.S. universities have ridiculous COVID rates, given many have only been back for a couple weeks. I'm not surprised. Last I checked (last week), Davis County schools had 20-30 cases. Hold on, folks!
Is Davis County where you are?
Post a Comment