Friday, January 4, 2013

Change of plans

I picked Rachel up early from school yesterday, then got Lydia from Lachelle's, and brought them back to the hospital to meet Colin. You've seen the pictures. During their visit, Karen arrived from CMU. I dropped her off at home on the way back to Lachelle's, where the girls and I had dinner, and then when Karen arrived to take the girls to our house, I returned to the hospital.

Some time after I got back, and unfolded the sleeper chair, the nurse came in to take what promised to be Colin's final blood sugar reading. Being born large increases the risk of hypoglycemia, which is why they were testing for it. She once again pricked him in the heel, and he once again didn't complain. Unfortunately, his reading came in a little low. They look for a reading above 45 mg/dL, and his had fallen below. She and Nicole made several attempts over the next few hours to increase his levels through feeding, but it didn't work consistently. Sometime in the middle of the night, a pediatrician arrived and recommended that Colin move to the NICU, where he could get an IV and be monitored constantly. As a result, the last few hours of our night were quieter than expected.

Colin remained in the NICU throughout today. His blood sugar readings are now in the normal range, and they gradually reduced the IV dosage down to zero. But, we're still not sure when he will come back. As a result, around lunchtime today, I decided to spend the day with Lydia rather than taking her to Lachelle's, and to sleep at home with the girls instead of at the hospital. This is better for me, and probably better for the girls. Although last night with Karen went very well, they were more disturbed today, as the time away from Nicole started to wear on them. It's not as good for Nicole, because it leaves her alone at the hospital. But she is in better spirits now that Colin is doing better, and she has been able to visit him in the NICU throughout the day, despite it being two floors down from her room, because she recovered quickly from the C-section.

Rachel, Lydia, and I will go visit again tomorrow morning, and we'll wait and see where I'll be sleeping tomorrow.

0 comments: