Yesterday was the opening for "Drawing on Migrations," otherwise known as the "buffalo show." After some tension leading up to it, due to being concerned friends would make the long drive out of duty and then be disappointed by the relatively small amount of work, I had a great time. Aforesaid friends came and also genuinely seemed to have a great time. I had forgotten that the point of an opening isn't only the show -- friends from different parts of my life met and had a good time talking to each other. I was happy with the way my work was installed, given the somewhat difficult space. It is a beautiful three story entrance of a performing arts building. The only bummer was that due to the fact they move a lot of stuff through the area for changing performing arts events, the sculptural objects were displayed off in a corner sort of crammed together (the curator asked for a sculptural object in addition to the drawings -- I will post a pic of mine when I get it, a verbal description won't cut it.) They put out a lot of food that was purportedly good -- I barely managed to get a glass of wine before talking to people set in -- but I didn't expect to have a chance to eat so had had a little dinner beforehand. But Anwyl and Esther reported that the fruit was unusually sweet and good and indeed it seemed to be -- Esther saved me a few raspberries so I could taste them and they were spectacular. We wondered if perhaps, since Davis is famed for its agricultural school, the fruit was part of campus research or something. So... on to the next project!
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Migrating to Davis to see an exhibit on migration - life imitating art?
So, what did you draw from the opening? Any epiphanies?
I've been to Davis before.
No epiphanies, but I sure am grateful for the good friends who came...actually I guess that was the epiphany. I would have been all set to stand there and talk to strangers all night and easily could not have invited anyone I knew because I thought it was too far for them to come. The friends who came because a) they live pretty close to Davis or b) just insisted on coming even if it was far away were the highlight of the evening, though. They made it so much more fun...so I think in the future I should just be more grateful for the people who want to come instead of worrying about whether they are driving too far.
Post a Comment