Thursday, January 24, 2013

Harold and the Purple Crayon

This book is about Harold and his late night adventures.

The story starts with Harold in his room. He should be going to sleep. But, instead, he uses his purple crayon to travel the world ... or his imagination.

Some of the lessons I learned from Harold are as follows:
1. Don't take short cuts ... they just get you lost.
2. Consider the repercussions of your actions before you act ... if you draw a dragon to protect your apple, you need to be prepared for a dragon to be there ... DUH!
3. Don't freak out when confronted with difficult situations ... you might just make it worse.
4. Even if you find yourself neck deep in the middle of the ocean, if you keep your head above water (and wits about you), you still have a chance to recover.
5. Don't be wasteful ... if you make 9 pies and just eat a little bit, find a hungry moose to help you finish 'em!
6. Be careful when you're approaching the top of the mountain, it is really easy to go free-falling back down quickly.
7. When you are confronted with a seemingly overwhelming situation, look for something familiar to grasp on to and work from there.

Ok, that's all I have this time.

7 comments:

Rone' said...

Very good book review. I've read this book ... a couple times in a row if I recall correctly!

ET said...

Jenn thinks I may have reviewed it, previously. I cannot recall. Roy?

Roy said...

I can check, but I don't remember one.

Roy said...

There's only one post in the history of the blog with "Harold" in the title, and this is it. Perhaps more surprisingly, this is also the only post with "Purple" or "Crayon" in the title.

Roy said...

In case, like me, this leaves you wondering what words do show up frequently in titles, I checked, and the most common content word is "happy", with 72 occurrences, followed closely by "new", with 71, "birthday", with 70, and "day", with 68. Then there's "Christmas", with 52, and "Rachel", with 49.

Meredith Tromble said...

Trying to make a sentence or haiku with our most popular words, I came up with this (to the tune of "Oh Happy Day" by the Edmund Hawkins Singers, with a little stretching)

Oh, Rachel's happy,
Happy new day,
happy birthday,
happy Christmas day!

Not very impressive literature, but thematically consistent...

ET said...

Didn't have much to work with, really.

Either way, I feel okay repeating the HPc post (even though I didn't) because we have two copies. We have one normal copy, and a second copy with thick, Lucas-resistant, cardboard pages.