One of my New Year's resolutions is to work out more. I know, after 239 days of at least 500 calories of cardio in 2012, some of you may be saying "More?" (Aside: my friend Jake upon hearing my final tally "239 is incredible. You deserve some sort of recognition!")
I'm not looking for more cardio, necessarily. I'm looking for more weight work. So, my goal is to complete crossfit workouts of the day (WOD) routinely, and add in a few pet exercises like deadlifts, box jumps, etc.
The Norman crossfit gym was closed yesterday, so they didn't post a WOD. So, I did modified versions of some classics. I did "Isabel" (30 power snatches, but with 95 lbs instead of 135 lbs) and "Grace" (30 clean and jerks, but with 95 lbs instead of 135 lbs). I modified Isabel because I can't snatch 135 lbs, currently. I think, in my prime, I maxed out around 135 lbs (I've never snatched a lot, and there is a lot of technique involved). I can clean and jerk 135 lbs, but didn't want to push it too much after already doing the modified Isabel.
Today was a doozy. The posted WOD: in 20 minutes, complete 4 rounds of 1) row 500 m and 2) 21 pullups. Then, in the remaining time, complete as many reps as possible of clean and jerk with 135 lbs.
Now, I admit that I refuse to do the garbage crossfit "pullups" where you swing and contort your body at all expense to get your chin above the bar. So, I'm at a disadvantage when trying to complete large volumes of pullups. But, either way, this one was rough. I can row 500 m in 2 minutes or less. But, even so, it took me 30 minutes to complete the 4 rounds of rowing and 3 of the 4 rounds of pullups. I was over the time limit, so I passed on the last set of pullups.
Not a bad way to kick off the year.
Other resolutions? I'm not sure. I'd like to get more sleep and stay healthier. Be a better person? That sort of thing.
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Cruel and Unusual
Posted by
ET
at
5:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Looking forward to hearing about more workouts! 239 days is awesome -- I hereby award you the "Auntie M King of Cardio Prize." No cash, but there's a gold paper crown with a star...
P.S. I have the opposite goal -- I have been doing fine with strength and stretch, but definitely need more cardio. I might try a new dance class tonight if I can overcome my anxiety about getting things done and get out the door.
Well, by doctors orders, I'm not allowed to undergo hours of labor, working out my abs and everything else to push out in my estimation an 11 pound baby. Then, my carrying limit will be around 10 pounds excluding baby. I think that any exercise routine will have to wait until mid year.
You didn't go for a 10K run today, Nicole?
Did you go to the dance class?
More Yoga!!!!!
God the thought of running!
Once I am able, I'm planning on joining the gym by the house that offers kick boxing and spin classes.
Yes. More yoga. Now, to fit that in!
Post a Comment