Sunday, January 27, 2013

Uncooked Pasta Lovers

I remember enjoying the crunchy goodness of uncooked sticks of spaghetti when I was a kid, along with my brothers. I mentioned this to Roy on today's hangout. He paused, but eventually acknowledged the memory. He said he had forgotten. Amazing, coming from Roy! Anyway, the memory resurfaced this week because of something Maëva did. I was holding her in the kitchen and she noticed the bag of tomato quinoa pasta that is her current favorite dinner item. She asked for "pâtes" so I gave her a piece, thinking I would take the opportunity to explain that pasta is hard before you cook it. She took the piece of pasta and immediately put it in her mouth. She sucked on it for awhile until it got soft, then started chewing on it and eventually ate it. Genetics? Or is a general appreciation for the crunchiness of uncooked pasta something lots of little humans share?

6 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

No personal experience with this one...when we were growing up, pasta consisted of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti from a can once in a while. Needless to say, crunchy it was not.

ET said...

I think I vaguely remember doing this at different times.

I have numerous pasta memories, one of the most vivid is from CSM freshman year. Often, I'd miss dinner due to bball practice. So, on multiple occasions, I'd head down to the basement (room was on the 3rd floor ... Randall Hall 316, I believe) and cook up a bunch of pasta and eat plain pasta for dinner. It still bugs me a bit that I had to pay all that money for a meal plan that I couldn't use on different occasions due to bball and lab schedules (labs scheduled from 11-2).

mt San Francisco said...

Yeah, it doesn't seem fair.

Tanya said...

The automatic college diet plan. You can't make meals that you have to pay for and since you've already spent all that money, you can't afford to buy any other food . . . Genius administrators!

ET said...

Yes, just what I needed freshman year: a diet.

ET said...

Oh, wait ... maybe that's why I hovered around 180 all year!