Monday, July 13, 2020

Lascours Lockdown, Day 121

Monday, July 13th. Reopening Day 64.
Sylvain and I got up at 6am to discover we had no water. This has happened before. When they do night work on the water line, they never notify beforehand. The water is always back on at 7am, but that wasn't any help to Sylvain as we had to leave the house just after six-thirty. He "showered" outside with the hose attached to the well-water pump. We left the house about twenty to seven and picked up Clément in Roquevaire on the way to the cycling trip meeting spot at Franck's house in Saint Savournin. Sylvain sent a text just before noon that they had arrived in Lourmarin where they had a lunch reservation.
This morning, I had messages in my work inbox about the freshman Introduction to Literary Analysis course that I'll be teaching for the first time this fall. Guess my summer reading priorities are going to shift a bit. First up now: The Book Collector, The Yellow Wallpaper, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1984 and The Red Badge of Courage.
At 10:15 Laureva and I left to drop off recycling, pick up our grocery order and then pick up her friend Mathilde on the way home. Unfortunately, at the bottom of the hill, I noticed that our mailbox had been bashed in again. I could not get it open, so I grabbed a pen and hurriedly wrote a note directly on the metal asking the mailman to use Marie-Elisabeth's box.
This afternoon, a message come through my work email indicating that the university has declined to finance equipment for our building for four out of eight auditoriums and for all of the classrooms. If this is true, it will make the hybrid teaching scenario virtually impossible to implement in the fall.
Marie-Elisabeth told me today that the mayor of Nice has instituted mandatory mask wearing in all public places.
The city of Roquevaire sent out a message this afternoon canceling the planned outdoor festivities for Bastille Day tomorrow. They explained that this is the prudent decision due to the fact that several clusters have been discovered in the department.
After yoga, I took the three girls out to the pool. I even eventually got in and Maëva raced up and down several times. She's pretty fast and won the most times. Mathilde's mom came to pick her up at four and the girls left with Marie-Elisabeth to go to the Scooby Doo movie in Aubagne with Jackye and Gabrielle. I baked a loaf of zucchini apricot bread then went down with some tools to try to fix the mailbox. No luck. Guess I'll have to tape it off until I can find someone to help me with it.
Just before 6pm, Franck texted that the cyclists had arrived at their Day 1 destination.

3 comments:

Roy said...

Good luck to them on their tour de France. Does your mailbox get bashed in often? Do you know why?

ET said...

I bet things hit it.

Tanya said...

Yes, every so often. But I don't know exactly how. In the past, I've suspected mis-manoeuvering by the neighbors...