Thursday, April 7, 2022

Overexposed

Thursday, I got my very first exposure notification from the WA Notify app. I suppose use of the app is probably higher among my coworkers than in the general population. I also got an email about someone having tested positive in a nearby work group, and later a generic corporate exposure email. I don't know whether all three were triggered by the same positive case. We also got a notification that Eric's piano teacher tested positive this morning. He had a lesson yesterday afternoon. It was his turn for a test tonight, and he's still negative despite classmates, but he'll be due again in a couple days. The schools sent home rapid antigen tests in preparation for the break, hoping that everyone will test before coming back to school. This is a very different phase of the pandemic, for us, besieged by exposure from every quarter. It's reassuring that masks seem to be working.


Nicole spent the day at an empty school. All her students were on a field trip. I spent the day in a full office, but more people were wearing masks today, because of the exposure notices. I ate lunch outside in the sun. It got up above seventy today, though it was still cooler than that at noon. I walked home comfortably without my coat on.

Nicole picked up pizza for dinner. Then Rachel remembered she needed to make empanadas for her presentation in Spanish class tomorrow. She did most of the mixing, then I helped with rolling and frying and Eric helped with filling. They just have cheese inside, but are pretty tasty. (We sacrificed a couple to quality assurance.)

The word of the day is bourdonnement, buzzing or droning, like of an insect, such as a bourdon, bumblebee. The author used both words when describing flying his drone to do aerial photography.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

The effectiveness of masks and hand washing has also been our takeaway from this phase of the pandemic.

Galen Tromble said...

I went to the post office and hardware store today. Not too many people wearing masks. I figure that by wearing one I'm providing peer support for all the others who are, and also that as fewer people wear masks, it's even more important to wear one. After 2 full years staying COVID free, I have no desire to get it now.