Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Lascours Lockdown, Day 507

Tuesday, August 3rd.

Laureva came in to sleep with me around midnight. There seemed to be something wrong, though she claimed everything was fine. However, had that been the case, she wouldn't have come. All day long, she complained about feeling nauseous or her tummy hurting and ate much less than usual. She didn't have a fever, though. I finally made her take some anti-cramping meds at bed time.

This morning, I left the girls tidying their room to go to my aqua bike session and run a few errands, including grocery pickup. I stopped at one pharmacy that did not have any N95 masks, but I think our usual one does, so I guess I'll have to go get them there. Our cleaning lady told me this morning that she and her younger son, who still lives at home, got their first doses of vaccine on Friday. The only side effect they experienced was arm soreness. Her son's was more intense than hers.

Back home, the girls and I sorted out school supplies to figure out what we need to shop for. The girls have wanted to get their school supplies ever since they got their lists at the end of June. I said we wouldn't go until August, but August has now arrived.

In the afternoon, Sylvain went down to Jean-Philippe's house for a boy's barbecue and the girl's went to Martine's house to play with Lilou, so I did some note taking on De Quincey and uploaded photos from the past few days. It goes noticeably faster with the fiber connection. The Google sync was done in a matter of minutes whereas it formerly took hours.

I received an email from Max today asking about the best way to contact me and about what dates would be good for a visit. He's arriving in Frankfurt on August 17th and will be in Europe until early November. That inspired me to go looking for Covid self tests online and order a box of five. The price with shipping comes to the same price the pharmacy here was selling them for when they were still available this spring.

The girls arrived home shortly before six. They took a bath, then asked to watch Back to the Future III. As Sylvain was away, we settled down for a girls movie night over dinner. I had forgotten how the story line extends over three episodes and that the third one is in the wild west. I remembered I like the third one better than the second. The futuristic extremes, nervous aggressive personalities and post-apocolapytic violence of the second are aesthetically off-putting to me. 

For story time, we began another Katie Kazoo and continued "A Study in Scarlet." Unfortunately, the Mormon avenging angels caught up with the fugitives in the Nevada mountains. Jefferson Hope returned to an empty camp after his hunting excursion and has vowed to spend the rest of his life enacting revenge. We think we know understand the motive for the murders in Part I. However, as Maeva pointed out, the people involved must be the children, or even grandchildren, of the characters we're now reading about in Part II.

0 comments: