Friday morning I awoke very early. I find it takes focus to avoid embracing the thoughts that fly into my head, and ironically that seems to be more difficult when I'm tired. I gave up on sleep temporarily and read the last 10% of The City We Became. I don't know what time it was when I finished. I did get more fitful sleep after that.
Rachel went to her last basketball camp and I went out to water the tree before our very hot day. Nicole wasn't back yet, so I started watering the rest of the front yard, too, but when I pulled the hose the rest of the way off its reel, it sprung a leak. I tried wrapping it with duct tape so we could carry on, but it didn't take long for the pressure to push through that, too. I think we need a new hose.
The rest of my day was work. Today wrapped up our first two week unit of the new organizational approach, so I ended the day by collecting progress to show the team on Monday. That will be different from the usual.
Nicole took Lydia to pick up Rachel from camp. They arrived home having picked up dinner. Meanwhile, I had finished work and gone upstairs, where Eric was asking for a snack. I put him off first by mixing up crepe batter for breakfast tomorrow, then I went downstairs without him to play Boomerang Fu. He joined soon enough, and we made it to dinner, but he still wasn't interested in eating his burger.
Rachel told us her team had been the number one seed in the camp tournament, after finishing with the best record. She got to play Nadia's team in the quarterfinal. Her team lost in the semifinal, though.
After dinner, the kids introduced Nicole to Heave Ho. Her hands got tired after a while and I took over. I left after another while due to insufficient cooperation, and went upstairs to do Duolingo and read. Now we've done family reading and I've written my post, so I get to find a new library book on my Kindle. I still have a handful left unread.
Here's my photo for the day: squirrel snacking on dogwood fruit.
The sunflower reminds me that the translator used that word in tonight's reading in Genji. I haven't found what plant that would have meant in tenth century Japan, but I don't think Helianthus is possible.

4 comments:
How hot did it get?
Looks like 91 was the official high. I stayed inside because of the air quality. The couple hours spent outside on Thursday left my nose and throat bothered.
Congratulations to Rachel for contributing to such a successful team!
I started losing my voice (teaching) when we had bad smoke -- wearing an N95 mask outdoors really helped...would recommend it, as I recall the smoke effects kind of crept up on me. Everything seems to be coming up masks...sigh.
Post a Comment