Sunday, August 8, 2021

Lascours Lockdown, Day 512

Sunday, August 8th.

The girls have been raring to pack for our trip for some time already. I told them they had to wait until the week of the trip. That has now arrived, so after breakfast, I got them each a travel bag and made a list of things they need and they started getting their things together.

I checked the weather forecasts for our trip. It looks like we're going to get lucky with sunny weather, though it won't generally be as hot as it has been down here.

While the girls were packing, I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes. After, we started watching a BBC movie called Mr. Holmes with Laura Linney while I did the exercise bike. Holmes is in his 90s, retired, and living in the countryside. He's becoming senile and is trying as hard as he can to remember the particulars of his final case so that he may correct the account Watson wrote of it.

We were invited to Clement's house this afternoon for Coralie's annual summer pistou soup. I had known a few people would be unvaccinated, so we did not take the girls. Of the fourteen people present for lunch, four were unvaccinated. One of those was Coralie. She told us that she had had an appointment in July to get her first dose. Unfortunately, she was identified as a contact case and had to self isolate, so her appointment was canceled. Before she was finished with that period, Macron made his speech about the new vaccine policy and appointments got gobbled up, so when she was finally able to make an appointment, it wasn't until this week and not anywhere convenient. She has to go to Aix on Wednesday the 11th for her first dose.

I had been worried about feeling uncomfortable at Clement's. However, there weren't too many of us and in the end I felt like there was plenty of space to not be breathing down each other's necks.

I came back home at 6 to do the Sunday hangout with the girls. They were quite talkative today: school, packing, painting. Mom's phone bugged out a bit early and she couldn't get reconnected. To finish, Rachel, Maeva, Roy and I played three rounds of the word game Ghost.

For reading time, we continued KK: Save the Worms! and began "Silver Blaze." This is the Holmes story I do with my students every fall. We'll see if Maeva likes it as much as I do.

0 comments: