Monday, May 18th. Reopening Day 8.
The girls got up at 7 and started getting their own breakfast while I drove a box for Caroline down to the mailbox for pickup by the mailman. The girls were done breakfasting by half past and both sat down on the couch to read. Maëva from an I Love English magazine. Laureva from a Kinra Girls book. When I'd finished my breakfast, I sent them to get dressed. I printed out Maëva's homework for today and tomorrow (the rest of the week is off this week) and the three of us sat down around the dining room table. I helped the girls with their school work until Marie-Elisabeth was ready for them to come down at 9. Maëva was working on some grammar exercises and I realized that getting a refresher on French grammar would probably help me in my understanding of how to explain language differences to my own students.
After spinning, I sat down at my computer and discovered an email exchange initiated by a couple of colleagues who are worried about how work will be organized in the fall. If the university doesn't go back to on site teaching, secondary schools may not either, which would mean many of us will have to continue the complicated job of working from home while homeschooling our kids. There may be no way around this. However, the current worry is that the higher-ups don't seem to be acknowledging the potential problem for the time being. A formal letter is in the works . . .
Laureva's teacher called this morning to check in and make sure Laureva was doing well. I assured her she was.
Two minor emergencies on the work front to end the morning. First, two masters students were supposed to be taking a makeup exam this morning. However, no one ever finalized it and sent it to them. Oops. I don't really know whose responsibility it was. I submitted my part, but there was never any follow-up. Second, I had to reconfigure all of the online exam modules for the distance learning students to allow for blind grading. One student had already submitted work, so we had to contact her, delete her work, create a new module and tell her to resubmit her work blind. Fun, fun, fun.
After spinning, I sat down at my computer and discovered an email exchange initiated by a couple of colleagues who are worried about how work will be organized in the fall. If the university doesn't go back to on site teaching, secondary schools may not either, which would mean many of us will have to continue the complicated job of working from home while homeschooling our kids. There may be no way around this. However, the current worry is that the higher-ups don't seem to be acknowledging the potential problem for the time being. A formal letter is in the works . . .
Laureva's teacher called this morning to check in and make sure Laureva was doing well. I assured her she was.
Two minor emergencies on the work front to end the morning. First, two masters students were supposed to be taking a makeup exam this morning. However, no one ever finalized it and sent it to them. Oops. I don't really know whose responsibility it was. I submitted my part, but there was never any follow-up. Second, I had to reconfigure all of the online exam modules for the distance learning students to allow for blind grading. One student had already submitted work, so we had to contact her, delete her work, create a new module and tell her to resubmit her work blind. Fun, fun, fun.
It was a sunny morning and quite hot outside for yoga. Then, shortly before 4pm, the sky darkened and I started to hear the distant rumble of thunder. Thirty minutes later, the lightning flashes began. Thirty minutes more and it started to rain, driving Sylvain inside to finish his workout.
About 5:30, Maëva's classmate Manon and her mom Laurence stopped by to pick up their PTA order. The girls and I went out to meet them with masks on as they had something for Maëva: a beautiful flamingo mosaic made of mini tiles by Laurence. It must have taken her 50 hours of work! We chatted for awhile. The girls were overjoyed to see another kid.
At 6pm, we headed back in so Maëva could call Rachel to read Fantastic Beasts together. I had to cut their call off at 7 for dinner. I think they've planned to continue tomorrow.
While the girls ate, I read from Descendants Book 2 at Maëva's request.
0 comments:
Post a Comment